Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cleaning Out Closets

A couple of weeks ago I found a photo album of our trip to Australia (pre-baby).
John and I look so put together. Cute haircuts, matching clothes, fit bodies and just a general calm joy surrounds our faces. I notice that today, for the third day in a row, I’m wearing my new favorite clothing combination of pajama bottoms and old t-shirts. Today’s combo features bright orange pajama bottoms and a t-shirt dated 1992. Light bulb moment: I now see clearly that our lives have been spiraling for the last three years. John and I have steadily hung on, keeping our heads just above water.

This spiraling I’ve come to acknowledge continues into our closets. Closets speak volumes about our circumstances, don’t they? Ours scream OVERWHELMED. They are in complete disarray....actually exploding...things are starting to poke out by the door hinges. Sorting through stuff just hasn't been a top priority for us....but, now, we are out of room. I'm sure something I can't find is somewhere waiting to be found in my closet. How does this happen?

For us, it began in February, 2008, when at week 17 of my pregnancy, I was diagnosed with complete placenta previa and put to bed.

taken the day before my c-section
In June, 2008, we came home with our new little man, but seven days later, I became really sick and after several weeks of oral antibiotics, was eventually treated for staph infection via a PICC line in my right arm. It was in the midst of all of this craziness that Stanton’s violent vomiting began. I remember always keeping a plastic bag around my arm because my PICC line couldn’t get wet and I was constantly covered in puke. What a sight we must have been to all those visitors who stopped by to meet Stanton!

I’ve made the conscience decision to stop the madness today! How can we move forward when our lives are still full of evidence of the the drama we’ve experienced?
Today, I claim 2 Chronicles 15:7 “Be strong; don’t be discouraged, for your work has a reward.” Thanks to my Mom (she has Stanton for the day) for giving me this day to create “keep,” “sell” and “toss” piles.  We are moving forward, slowly, but surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment