Saturday, May 29, 2010

Caution: Wet Floor

So, this week, Stanton and I scheduled a play-date with friends at Chick-fil-a. My friend, Joy, and her two little girls pulled into the parking lot as we did. The kids were all so excited to see one another and giggled all the way into Chick-fil-a. The place was packed! I told Joy I’d take the kids and find a table while she got in line. Of course the only open table was smack in the middle of the restaurant, but I grabbed it and got the girls situated. I found a high chair for Stanton, dragged it over to our table and plopped him down. Joy came over with her girl’s food as I pulled out Stanton’s only safe food from home, corn kernels. As I pulled the lid off the container of corn, Stanton went into a full blown vomiting session. 
Projectile is the only word in the English language that comes close to describing this style of vomiting…..but a picture of a long-dormant volcano suddenly coming to life always jumps to my mind. My dear, sweet friend, Joy, handed me about five napkins and wandered off for more. I attempted to keep Stanton calm as those five napkins soaked up roughly 10% of the damage. He cried loudly and I began to notice we we drawing a large audience. I also tried to keep the girls calm as they begin asking questions. “Is Baby Stanton okay?”… “Is Baby Stanton sick?”…”Does Baby Stanton have a tummy-ache?”… “will I get the tummy-ache too?”



One of the tables right next to ours chimed in: “Oh I remember my kids doing that in restaurants. It’s hard being the Mom that just exposed everyone to the stomach bug.”


Okay – I completely realize that now is not the most opportune time for a public service announcement….but I could hardly contain myself.

I tried to smile and nod but I felt tears brimming. My hands were shaking as I stood Stanton up in the high chair and undressed him as he cried. I wanted to share our story. I wanted to define reflux. I wanted to describe eosinophilic esophagitis. I wanted those around us to know they had not just been exposed to something contagious. Instead I stood, letting the world fade away for a brief moment, and held Stanton tight to my heart in only his diaper; rocking, humming, breathing, pulling us back together. I opened my eyes only to find our table now marked by bright yellow wet floor warning signs…just in case anyone in Chick-fil-a missed our first act.



This week I learned that advocating for Stanton’s health will only be half our battle.

6 comments:

  1. I am crying for you...and all mothers who are unkindly judged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ginger. My chest squeezed tightly and the tears brimmed full reading your heart words. You are that little man's champion and that is ALL that matters. Know that when you hold him close... we hold you. Much love across too many miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People feel a lot of power by judging others. You are an amazing woman who is, thankfully, motivated by something bigger than that! You 3 are in my thoughts and prayers.

    No one else could have handled it with such grace!

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crying with you, Ginger. Stanton is SO very lucky to have such a wonderful mother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Ginger.....I cried reading this. I know that you told me about it the other day, but somehow, I was able to visualize the scene and your emotions.....you are an AMAZING mother and Stanton is so fortunate....I am soooo sorry for all the cruel and judgmental people in this world......lots of hugs to you and Stanton!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love my friends! I feel your hugs from across the miles....

    ReplyDelete