Monday, August 22, 2011

Partners in Crime

It’s official.
I know I shouldn’t feel surprised or disappointed….but I am a bit. I’m only human and the momma after all. My educated brain knows that 60% of kids with severe reflux have it, or that’s what all the research I find on-line suggests. I mean, we’re already treating Stanton for it with a daily breathing treatment called Pulmicort. Looking back over the last three years, we’ve treated most of the classic symptoms and flare-ups, however, each doctor, ENT, Immunologist, Allergist, Gastroenterologist, etc. we’ve seen has tip-toed around calling Stanton’s chronic lung/breathing issues what they really are….until today. ASTHMA - today Stanton received a diagnosis of asthma. Asthma and Reflux are truly partners in crime.

Since July 30th we’ve been to the pediatrician three times. On July 30th we went after Stanton crashed. This is what I’ve jokingly describe as his “time of the month.” Every three to three and a half weeks, the bottom just falls out from under Stanton. The mystery dots appear, the refusal of oral intake begins the clear runny nose kicks in, the vomiting eventually explodes and his oxygen levels plummet. On August 10th we went for an ear infection and increased reflux. Today we went for the right on time three week crash.
surviving on Mommy and Daddy's bed
The pediatrician obviously knows our situation and history and understands that getting a prescribed antibiotic down him is impossible. So, poor Stanton received a big shot of rocephin. We have all the inhaled and dissolvable steroids at home…so that’s where we are now, continuing to alternate the breathing treatments between Pulmicort and Xopenex. I’m hoping that Stanton will begin drinking something again by tomorrow so I can hide the dissolvable steroids in his Elecare formula. That’s the only way to get them down without a huge throw-up episode. (He hasn’t had any Elecare since Saturday around lunch).

Once we are over this episode, the pediatrician wants us to increase his daily Pulmicort breathing treatment from once to twice a day and see if that makes a difference. He also suggested we start watching to see if Stanton’s episodes become more frequent now that he is in school. If they do, the pediatrician wants us to seriously consider taking Stanton out of school. He said it’s his either his social development or his health and right now we may not be able to have both. UGH!!!! I thought we had finally arrived at something normal!!!! And Stanton really LOVES his pre-school. We’ve had zero transition issues. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it won’t come to this.

A couple of days before Stanton crashed


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ginger - I'm a media relations associate at Cincinnati Children's and your blog popped up in my google alerts last year when you posted soemthing about Cincinnati Children's. I'm actually posting this comment in a personal capacity, as I have visited your blog a couple of times and in your descriptions of all that Stanton has endured, I haven't seen that it's been considered that he could have an eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorder. Perhaps this has already been ruled out for him, but if you haven't looked into it, maybe it could fit? Please know that I am not a doctor, nor a nurse, or a medical professional of any kind. I'm simply a mom who happens to spend a lot of time around pediatric medicine and I felt like I would regret not reaching out to you with this possibility. Stanton is one tough cookie and I can only imagine how proud you are of him! My email address is katherine.setter@cchmc.org if you would like to reach me.

    All the best,
    Kate Setter

    ReplyDelete