Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Joy

Merry Christmas everybody! 
I've changed the background of the blog in honor of Christmas.

I made a mental shift over the weekend....finding a name or diagnosis for what's going on inside Stanton's body doesn't necessarily mean we will find a cure.  Finding a name will not change who Stanton is or who he can become.  Raising him to be a strong, fun, independent, world changer is up to me...not a doctor.  This is a profound "A-HA" moment for me. An internal break through.  Don't worry, we're still fighting for Stanton to feel good everyday - not just a day here and there.  Just today I was on the phone with a nurse from the team at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.  I reviewed with her all we've accomplished and looked into this month.  I was quite surprised with how long the review list was!
List:  started medication for gastroparesis, introduced egg with bad results, tested for Cystic Fibrosis and are awaiting results, have lots more genetic lab work ordered due to high levels in amino acids from previous testing, met with allergist (this is our current road block - both allergists we've seen don't think Stanton needs the skin test), saw our ENT, have spoken with our pediatrician several times, can't get our GI to return our calls, have started hanging out with our speech therapist in the radiology room getting Stanton ready and comfortable to complete the swallow study.
Whew!  We've been busy!  And, we will continue to be busy, however, I've decided the laundry can get folded later and the dishwasher can stay full.  When Stanton wants to play cars, we're playing cars!  We have also made the difficult decision to NOT travel over the Christmas holiday.  Thanksgiving was just awful for us....so, we're staying put.  I'm sad to not see my extended family, but really excited about Christmas morning at home. 

Yes, Stanton would love to have this car for Christmas!  But....it doesn't quite fit under our tree.  Not to mention we have several more years before he can drive! hahahahaha.  Stanton would like for Santa to leave hot wheels and a Buzz Light year with buttons under the tree.  So sweet and innocent and full of the wonder and joy this season naturally ushers our way.  We just have to be willing to stop and accept the gift of joy and innocence. 

2 comments:

  1. Ginger, when we traveled over Thanksgiving and Shelby had her stomach virus (and we drove home in the middle of the night), my husband basically said, "If anyone wants to see me or my children on major holidays, they can (#*$^ get in the car and drive to my house. Never. Again." So we are right there with you and in a lot of ways it is a real relief. I love my family, but it gets so complicated with children who AREN'T really sick. I think God would prefer us to experience the real peace of the holiday season and phone or Skype with our families instead. May your "a-ha" moment bring you more peace about your previous question, how to fight and remain peaceful at the same time. I have been thinking and praying about y'all and I will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will miss you at Mam-maw's! But I hope your Christmas is relaxing and peaceful with no major events....Lord knows y'all are due. Merry Christmas, and we hope to see y'all soon.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete