Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cincy Details

Listen to my words, Lord,
consider my lament.
Hear my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.
~Psalms 5:1-3
I have been fervently asking God to open doors for us in Cincinnati. The closer our trip is, the more nervous I feel. We are traveling such a long way to see this doctor. I just don’t want our trip or our efforts to feel in vain. Well, yesterday my prayers were acknowledged! Nurse Julie called from Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and asked if we could change our appointment from 1:00 to 8:45. She said that Dr. Pentiuk had reviewed Stanton’s medical records and thought he would benefit from also seeing the feeding team. This means that Stanton will now be observed and assessed by an entire team of experts who deal with feeding disorders: an Occupational Therapist, a Speech Therapist, a Psychologist, a Dietician, a Physician, an ENT, a Genetics doctor and the Gastroenterologist, Dr. Pentiuk. Nurse Julie said we should plan on spending 3 – 4 hours at the hospital.

Now, I can look forward to our trip! I’m really even excited about it! Today, the nurse practitioner from the feeding team called and spent 45 minutes on the phone with me asking detailed questions and going over everything for our visit. She let me know that the assessment room has a DVD player and that we will have some down time between meeting with team members. We are to bring some things that Stanton will eat or try to eat as well as his Elecare and any bottle and sippy cup he will drink from. She let me know that after each team member has had an opportunity to interact with Stanton and talk to us, they will all meet and come up with recommendations on what to do next. These could include tests, therapy interventions, etc. The nurse practitioner let me know that each person we meet with will be billed separately to insurance and we will need to be prepared to pay multiple co-pays. I just grinned and thanked God over and over for providing for us…..our insurance has pre-approved Cincinnati Children’s Hospital as an “in network” provider!!!!!!
Guess where John’s college roommate lives? In a suburb of Cincinnati! He actually works only a mile or so from the Children’s Hospital! So, we will get to hang out with him and his sweet family over the weekend. I just feel completely overwhelmed and humbled that God has perfectly arranged each and every detail of this process so that things just fall into place for us to go, focus on seeking the best care for Stanton and have a little fun too!


 

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is overwhelming to step back and see His work. Praying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever consider the idea that your visit itinerary isn't the magical finaglings of some imaginary man in the sky, but is really just the result of the hard-working health professionals at that hospital? Sounds a lot more likely to me.

    ReplyDelete