Friday, November 5, 2010

Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

I must first say thank you. I love to learn that all kinds of people, from all walks of life, are reading my blog. My little guy, Stanton, is so lucky to have people from all over the world thinking of him and sending good thoughts his way.

You are right about the hard-working professionals at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. I cannot wait to meet them! They have taken so much time with our case. Everyone I’ve spoken with has listened and treated me like a mom – not a number. I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to take Stanton to such a top notch center. I believe that God’s hand was in the midst of me connecting with Cincinnati. I’ve heard from several other families that they’ve had to wait several months before being seen. Once our referral was processed and our medical records faxed, we had an appointment within the month! So many moms have also asked me how I fought to get my insurance to approve our upcoming visit. I haven’t had a “fight.” Information has come to me! For example, while googling “feeding clinics,” a sample insurance company’s policy on out-patient feeding clinics pulled up as number three on the search list. I wasn’t even looking for information on insurance – it just pulled up. I believe that God brought this information to me…which in turn gave me the insight I needed to get our visit pre-approved.

I also believe that God has also positioned people in our lives to help out. When my husband went to college, he was assigned a roommate. They didn’t know each other; had never met. But after living together in the freshman dorm for a year, they became great friends. We could have never known that this very roommate and friend from the past would today work just around the corner from the very children’s hospital we are headed to.

It is because of my faith in my God that I feel I can continue to fight for Stanton’s health. My God sustains me, gives me strength, offers me hope, gives me glimpses of pure love and so perfectly orchestrates things around me – it is more than any human could possibly arrange or fathom. I can’t imagine going through all of this without this kind of hope. The hope that my life matters. Stanton’s struggles have a purpose. It is something bigger than me.

Thank you, Anonymous, for your comment. We are all connected to one another in this world.  I hope that my answer hasn’t offended you in anyway. I only ask that you continue to send healing thoughts to my son.

From my heart to yours,

Ginger

In the Bible, 1 Peter 3:15 says that Christians should “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”

7 comments:

  1. Ginger, you could not have honored this scripture better either with your words here or with your life's walk. Blessed to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading the biography of Mother Teresa. In part of the chapter I read last night, Mother Teresa said (I'm paraphrasing here) our suffering in life has the sole purpose of bringing us closer to God. It is only in experiencing suffering-- directly or indirectly-- that we can truly feel love and grace and see Jesus. We cannot fully appreciate God without fully knowing suffering. And as I read those passages, I thought of you. I will continue to send healing thoughts and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such grace in your response, Ginger. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your response. I don't believe I could have been so kind with a response of my own to such a comment. God has certainly and obviously had a hand in the lives of both our boys' medical journeys.

    Praying for Stanton and for healing for him and stregth for you and John.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I'm Liz in Toronto, Canada. (I don't have an account, so I come up as Anonymous. But I at least wanted to identify myself somehow.)

    I just want to say that I happened across your blog by accident. I have no children. I am not experiencing anything close to what you and your family has been through. However, I've spent the last 2 hours reading your blog because it's inspiring to see such a dedication.

    I am choosing to comment here because I cannot even fathom where you collected the grace to respond so eloquently to Anonymous and his remarks about your beliefs. I read the verse you posted from your bible, and even though I can see you are strong in your beliefs (and that verse is quite timely and exact), I don't think I could have ever kept that in my mind when replying to someone so, well...rude. I don't share the same beliefs as you either, but I do share compassion. The stars do align, I believe in that. And there is a power that brings it all together, I believe in that too. And, I believe that you had a perfect storm of alliances (With your God at the helm) come to you for this visit and - quite frankly, I was overjoyed to read how it all came together for your family. Anonymous clearly has never experienced a perfect storm of hope.

    I'm going to keep Stanton in my mind, and I've bookmarked your blog. I'll be back to check on his progress. Thank you for sharing your story. This world is full of a lot of hate, and rarely hope. You, dear stranger... have a lot to offer everyone just by your ultimate display of sacrifice and compassion. Best wishes from the Great White North.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: I use his as ambiguous. It could very well be a woman, but I wanted to avoid the he/she her/him etc in my comment. L in T, C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz,

    Your comment was exactly what I needed to hear today, this moment! Thank you for taking the time to share and encourage,

    ginger

    ReplyDelete