Monday, September 6, 2010

Is Enough Really Enough?

Sometimes I find myself wondering, “is there more I could do?”  In these moments I give myself a pep talk using the basic outline from The Four Agreements (by Don Miguel Ruiz). This book challenges me to use my words impeccably, not make assumptions, don’t take things personally and to do my best. Such simple truths – so difficult to stick with day in and day out. These rules for living have been stretched and tested this week.

Stanton has been fighting a slight runny nose. This is a downhill slope, for where mucus resides, the vomiting increases…always. So it’s been a real Clorox wipes, Febreze, laundry-pile-up kind of week. My sister and niece came over to play and bore witness to a pretty violent “episode.” I guess it scared her as it used to scare me. Now I know he isn’t really going to puke his guts out…but, in those early days, I used to think it was highly possible. Anyway, it must have left an impression on my sister. She and mom began poking and prodding about when would we see the GI again, what was the pediatrician doing and what was the next step. My mom also asked why I wasn’t parked in a doctor’s office insisting that someone fix my son.

It got me thinking “Am I not insistent enough with our 13 doctors already?”

1. Use my words impeccably: We are waiting on the results from the blood and urine lab work we had done a week ago. Samples were sent to Mayo and it will take a few weeks to hear anything.2. Don’t make assumptions: Are they really implying I’m not doing everything I can for Stanton?
3. Don’t take it personally: My family loves Stanton and just have his best interest at heart
4. Do my best:  I was chosen to be Stanton’s mom for a reason. I am fighting for his health. I know that everything I do and every choice I make is for or because of Stanton. I am doing my best.

If you ever feel frustrated – I recommend this great article by Jennifer Angel:


"Each day we catch a glimpse of our life. We evaluate, are we happy, and are we satisfied, what’s missing, and what do we crave? Our days are preoccupied with worry and stress, things that need to be done and bills that need to be paid. It might appear that we are constantly chasing the next best thing instead of taking a moment to stop and appreciate the life that we have already created for ourselves. Realizing and having an understanding of when enough is enough, is being able to be happy with what you have now in life, whatever place you are at. Being more satisfied with your life can be achieved with a positive attitude and some personal goals."  (Click here for the full article: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/horoscopes/2010/06/16/2010-06-16_when_is_enough_enough.html#ixzz0yhqJcFqV)

So I can say with confidence that my best is all I can ask for and is exactly what Stanton needs,
 
Ginger

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Ginger!!!!! You are way ahead of the game, keeping your head like this. I know it's hard when you're so tired and fighting to keep hope above all else. I've been there with comments from well meaning family, and they are just that -- you're right. They would never mean to question anything you're doing, I'm sure. I know they must recognize the Herculean effort you put forth every day. I know they just wish there was more they or anyone could do. I know because my family has said similar things, like why are come kids cured and mine is not. I believe you are right not to take it personally and to keep all your efforts focused on staying healthy and finding the answers to get Stanton healthy. It's good he's surrounded by so much love. All our best to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are ahead, I remember turning down the fundo as a baby, and after a very bad week at 3 years old I begged him pleaded him to make the puke stop(new ped oldone retired) instead he did a few things it wasn't the fix I wanted but it held us over, she is now 10 and does.not.stop.eating.

    ReplyDelete