Monday, June 28, 2010

Since the allergy testing all came back negative, I do feel a little more relaxed about food and Stanton. The news hasn’t changed the way Stanton reacts to or accepts food, however, it has changed my attitude. I no longer find myself hovering and worrying over every possible taste, lick or bite. We are to slowly introduce things so that we can pin-point and record any reactions. Thus, we begin our journey along the bumpy, windy, cobble-stone road with hopes that the destination takes us to a place where Stanton can trust, eat and enjoy food.

This weekend John and I had such an amazing time with Stanton.  We camped out, enjoyed the beach, spent time with friends and simply just had fun.  We especially enjoyed introducing Stanton to and watching him dip french-fries into ketchup. Stanton carefully lifted each fry as if it were the finest piece of crystal stemware. He first carefully touched the tip of the fry into the ketchup, then to his tongue. After a few cautious dips, Stanton grew more and more courageous. He began licking the ketchup off each fry and then actually took a bite of a fry. He just held the tiny bite in his mouth for a moment, then spit it out. It truly was a magical, fun time at the table – which didn’t have a happily ever after ending. (Stanton threw up four hours later) It’s a bit sad for me to know that we’ve been denied this experience until now…I guess I’m starting to face the fact that we’ve all experienced trauma.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are enjoying life more. It is so stressful being worried ALL the time and it does take it's toll. So important to have those times when you can simply relax and love one another (said to myself more than you! LOL) Another great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rachel! Thanks so much for your sweet words of encouragement. The loving on one another is by far the best!

    ReplyDelete