Friday, January 14, 2011

Ophthalmology Report

Stanton had his ophthalmology appointment today and was diagnosed with DVD, “Dissociated Vertical Divergence.” It’s an ocular motor disorder where one eye drifts up when the other eye fixes on a target. In Stanton’s case, his right eye drifts occasionally during the day, usually when looking at books or watching TV. When he’s tired, it’s much more obvious. To me, it looks as if his right eye just turns off or glazes over. I can tell he’s not using it.

What I’m learning about DVD is that the eye itself has normal vision, the eyes just don’t work together as a team. This condition becomes noticeable in children between 2 – 3 years old. Children who undergo eye muscle surgery early in life, particularly for esotropia, may develop DVD later. This is EXACTLY our situation. Stanton had eye muscle surgery for esotropia when he was 10 months old. However, I don’t remember anyone ever mentioning DVD as a possibility then. From what I understand, when Stanton’s right eye drifts or “turns off,” his visual system blocks the vision in that eye, so he becomes “one-eyed,” only using his left eye during those moments. Our ophthalmologist said that eye patching and glasses aren’t treatment options, as they work to strengthen vision. DVD isn’t an eye vision issue. Stanton’s vision tests normal, it’s just his eye muscles that aren’t working properly. Surgery is the only real treatment. This would be a second eye muscle surgery on an entirely separate group of eye muscles than his esotropia repair surgery. The ophthalmologist suggested we wait 6 months before making a decision. He said if the DVD begins to happen more often, or if we notice Stanton’s eye getting “stuck” frequently, we should schedule the surgery. However, if the DVD stays as it is, he doesn’t recommend surgery.


So, we’ll just have to wait and see for now. I do know that DVD is affecting his vision since his system is blocking the eye….and that does worry me. When I close one eye to see what it might feel like, my perception of what’s around me is obviously different. When I try to walk with one eye closed, my balance seems off and I feel hesitant and clumsy. When walking somewhere unfamiliar or in a crowd, Stanton prefers to be held rather than hold hands….and now I can understand why. I am reminded of 2nd Corinthians 5:7, “For we live by faith, not by sight”

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. You didn't really need another problem to deal with. You are an awesome person and Stanton is SO blessed to be your son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whisper upon your heart to draw the words of this scripture. That same beautiful heart, aching to see and feel the world your little one does is a not only a blessing to your precious family, but to those of us watching your walk. Prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ginger, bless his heart and yours....Stanton is, as everyone has said before, very fortunate to have you as his mom....I will pray that it does not worsen and that it corrects on its own without surgery....love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete